Rat Poison

The caregiver is worried that the community cats will get poisoned by this….

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under animal-rights, Blog

0 responses to “Rat Poison

  1. Post this on stomp as this is dangerous to children! I doubt it is legal. Can the caregiver check with ava?

  2. I did a search and found a local company using rat poison (http://www.peststopsg.com/rodent_control.html) but it is placed in a tamper-proof box. These poisons seen in the photos above seem to be widely exposed and hence poise dangers to dogs and children….and of course cats. But mentioning cats won’t get the authority’s attention but children will get action fast!

  3. Dangerous for kids,birds,dogs too.

  4. The company that placed this rat poison was Wipeout Pest Control Services.

  5. The Town Council manager agreed to reduce the frequency of placing rat poison and also use the bait in the burrow type instead of the exposed powder.

  6. I would remove them if I see them. Rats suffer a horrifying slow death from rat poisons.

  7. There is birth control for pigeons… that would be more humane!

  8. Reply from NEASent: Monday, March 23, 2009 9:58 AMI refer to your email enquiry appended below.In the treatment of rodent burrows, two forms of chronic rodenticides are used. These rodenticides are used either as baits or powders that work on the basis of anti-coagulation. These baits are normally contained in rodent boxes and are placed around the periphery of buildings or in the burrows. For this case, the powders were used. These powders are normally applied on the inner wall surfaces of burrows through a duster, where it would adhere to the rodents’ body surface and are ingested when the rodents groom themselves. The powder, commercially known as the Racumin powder, contains the active ingredient, coumatetralyl, at concentration of 0.037%. According to the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), the rodents need to ingest a single lethal dose of 5gm/kg of body weight to encounter acute poisoning while other animals such as dogs need double that dosage. Hence, this anti-coagulant rodenticide is considered safe with very low toxicity. Nevertheless, we will remind the Town Council’s pest control operators (PCO) to take precautionary measures and ensure that a duster is used for the proper application of the rodenticide powder into the rodent burrows, hence minimising exposure outside rat burrows. Should you notice such rodenticide exposure in future, please do not hesitate to contact Town Council and/or NEA to report the matter. Yours faithfully,Lai Kok PeckManagerQuality Service, Surveillance & Intelligence SectionNorth West Regional OfficeNational Environment Agency

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s